Thank you so much for inquiring about a newborn photo session! This is a list of items to bring and a list of frequently asked questions and answers. If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask! Thank you!!
When should a newborn session be scheduled?
- Newborn sessions are ideally scheduled several months before the mother’s due date, however in some cases I have last minute openings, so I’m glad you’ve inquired about the details.
How is a newborn session scheduled?
- Every baby arrives on his/her own schedule. Very rarely does a baby arrive exactly on his/her due date so this is how I handle scheduling. I put your due date on my calendar and then wait for your call. Within 24 hours of your baby being born please contact me so that we can choose a date/time that works well for both of us. Because of the unknown arrival of a baby I do not choose specific days until after the baby is born (unless you have a planned c-section or induction scheduled).
How old is a baby for a newborn session?
- Newborn sessions happen ideally within 4-10 days after the baby has been born, no more than 2 weeks old.
- If for some reason the baby is ill or you are still in the hospital then we’ll be in touch as soon as everyone is home and feeling well.
How long does a newborn session last?
- Your session fee includes 3 hours of my time. So between feedings, changing, diapers, rocking, etc… we will capture as much as your bundle of joy will allow within the 3 hour time period.
- Please arrive on time. Any time lost will affect the quality and amount of photos we’ll be able to capture.
Where do newborn sessions happen?
- Newborn sessions can happen in my at-home studio space (right in my own home, 619 Buck Lane, Turner, ME) with backdrops, props, proper lighting etc… OR a lifestyle session can happen in your own home. Lifestyle sessions happen in the comfort of your own home and include little to no props. These two session types are very different in nature and have different image outcomes, so you’ll have to decide if you want baskets, blankets, headbands, props, etc… or if you would prefer to cuddle on your couch, see baby sleeping in his/her crib and/or capture at home moments with baby, pets, siblings, etc… Please view example galleries from the home page of my website for a better idea of what to expect.
Can I bring along special items from home to have included in the photos?
- Absolutely! I’ve done different sessions that have included all kinds of different personal items. For instance, Daddy’s saddle, Dad’s cowboy hat, spurs, and baby’s stuffed horse. Or Daddy’s firefighter helmet or Mom’s special antique from her grandmother. These images are not possible without communication and you providing the personal items you want used. I’d be happy to help you create your own personal photo with items from home just send me your ideas in advance!
What should we bring along with us (or have ready at home during the lifestyle shoot)?
- Please bring along lots of diapers (your baby may be changed more often here than at home since we will be dressing and undressing him/her).
- Formula/bottles or you if you’re a nursing mom.
- A few burp cloths to catch messes that may happen.
- A few warm blankets to snuggle your baby in while he/she feeds. Often times I will ask you to nurse/feed your baby while he/she doesn’t have clothes on to make transitions easier, so bring a few warm blankets. Yes one may get peed or pooped on so bring at least 2! Hehe!
- A pacifier for soothing.
- Any special items from home, as I mentioned earlier, and any hats, headbands, blankets, etc… that you want you baby in.
How much will it cost to have the session done and what products do we get to take home with us?
- There is a non-refundable $50 retainer fee which keeps your session date on my calendar. This is due at the time of booking.
- The session fee is $150. The session fee includes my time and talent to capture your session, pre-session consultation to discuss ideas and questions, and travel to an on-site location within 25 miles of Turner, ME, 04254 if you desire to do a lifestyle session. (Additional fee will apply for traveling further distances.)
- The retainer fee is due at the time of booking and is non-refundable. If the session fee is not received within 7 days of booking your session then your due date will not remain on my calendar.
- In case of bad weather or sickness we will reschedule within a reasonable amount of time.
- The digital collection and professional prints are available for purchase at an additional cost.
I would like digital images for my own printing? Do you offer that?
- I sure do and it’s a great way to have all of your images for yourself for a lifetime! Digital Collection (Instant download of images with printing release)- $200
What if I don’t purchase the Digital Collection?
- Then you have the option to purchase professional prints from an online ordering gallery. That gallery is active for 60 days and after that prints are no longer available.
- Print orders are a minimum of $200.(If you purchase the digital collection there is no minimum order.) Prices are below, more custom sizes available upon request.
Canvas prints start at $100+. Other products and sizes available.
How do I pay for the session fee?
- You have a few options for payment. You can mail me a check to
Nicole Van Tassel, 619 Buck Lane, Turner ME 04282
- Or you can pay via PayPal. Simply give me your e-mail address and I will send you a PayPal invoice to pay with a credit or debit card.
I’m interested in a maternity session AND a newborn session? Is there a combination package?
- Maternity/Newborn Combo- $325 (savings of $75) This includes both a maternity and newborn session. This price covers the session only. Digital collections, prints and products are separate.
Most importantly please come ready to have a good time!! Having photos taken can be stressful on everyone and I want to capture your new baby in a relaxing and comfortable environment so come ready to relax and laugh along with me! My in-home studio space is right in my living space so be prepared to make yourself at home in my home! I’m honored to have clients in my home and hope you’ll enjoy the experience!
If you have any other questions please just send them to me and I’d be happy to help! Thank you again! I hope to meet you and your new bundle of joy soon! Best wishes, Nicole